Wednesday, 13 July 2016

How 'Pokemon Go' Can Teach Social Skills To Children And Young People With Autism

Both my children - yes in their 20s - have gone nuts for this game/app the current Pokemon Go craze.  This article  has an interesting perspective on how it can assist those living with Autism with their social skills. http://www.gizmodo.com.au/…/pokemon-go-can-teach-social-sk…/ 

This church in Nebraska is pleased too as it is a pokestop and more people are visiting the church. http://cathnews.com/cathnews/25944-pokemon-people-go-to-church   

Can you believe shares in Nintendo have gone up 60%!!!

2 comments:

  1. I have also gone crazy for this app! I grew up watching Pokemon whilst getting ready for school in the mornings!
    Interesting you mention the positive impact it can have on those children with Autism.. I witnessed this first hand! On the weekend, my husband and I went for a walk at Wollongong Harbour, only to stumble across a huge group of people - iPhone's in hands! We sat down to admire the scenery to realise it was a Pokestop and that being the reason for all the people there. As I listened more closely to the interactions around me, I noticed there was a family who had 3 children attached to their phones. I was able to pick up on the mannerisms and behaviors to know these children had autism. I smiled at the parents who had huge smiles on their faces as they watched their children become so highly engaged and motivated by the game. The mother turned to me and said, before this game, my child hardly spoke - now he is telling new friends he meets which Pokemon he has caught!

    How amazing! Just wanted to share :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have also gone crazy for this app! I grew up watching Pokemon whilst getting ready for school in the mornings!
    Interesting you mention the positive impact it can have on those children with Autism.. I witnessed this first hand! On the weekend, my husband and I went for a walk at Wollongong Harbour, only to stumble across a huge group of people - iPhone's in hands! We sat down to admire the scenery to realise it was a Pokestop and that being the reason for all the people there. As I listened more closely to the interactions around me, I noticed there was a family who had 3 children attached to their phones. I was able to pick up on the mannerisms and behaviors to know these children had autism. I smiled at the parents who had huge smiles on their faces as they watched their children become so highly engaged and motivated by the game. The mother turned to me and said, before this game, my child hardly spoke - now he is telling new friends he meets which Pokemon he has caught!

    How amazing! Just wanted to share :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.